Labels

Monday, March 14, 2011

Sweet & Spicy Tofu with Vegetables


Source: Oxygen Magazine

ANTONIO RATING: 4 OUT OF 5 STARS (before I told him it has tofu in it!)

I know I got this recipe a long time ago from Oxygen magazine, long before MomChef. Unfortunately I didn't note the Issue #. But it is one of the first recipes I have found for tofu that I really enjoy. And, it's Super-Quick to make! Red bell peppers are better but you can use green if you have a situation like me where your kids ate all the red peppers for lunch (in which case I count my blessings and throw in green).

This is a quintessential Clean Eating recipe - mushrooms, cabbage and peppers are all high-water vegetables which means they deliver a lot fiber and nutrients without a lot of calories.

Ingredients
2 tsp. olive oil
12 oz. firm tofu, cubed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped bell peppers (red or green)
2 c. chopped nappa cabbage
1 c. sliced shitake mushrooms
1/4 c. chicken or vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 c. cooked brown rice

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the tofu and cook 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, onion, peppers, cabbage and mushrooms. Cook 7 minutes.
3. Combine stock, vinegar, soy sauce, honey and cornstarch in a small bowl.
4. Add the sauce to the vegetables. Simmer 3-4 minutes.

To Serve
Place 1/2 c. cooked rice on a plate, top with 1/4 of the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment